Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sometimes, a Girl Needs a Cocktail

Photobucket

I've been busy the last few weeks. I just submitted my dissertation to my doctoral committee, summarizing the past 7 years of my research. It felt Really Good to finish that huge tome and hand it over to the six men who's signatures determine my fate.

In celebration of that feat, and to ease the accumulated tension of seven stressful years, I'm throwing a few back tonight. Just thought I'd let the internet know.

I'm starting off with a fresh mint mojito. Fresh because the mint came from the plant that my husband grows on our balcony. Can't really get fresher than that.

Recipe for "You're almost there! Mojito"
Serves 1

3 sprigs mint, fresh cut.
1/2 lime, quartered or otherwise cut up
2 shots white rum
ice
splash of simple syrup to taste
club soda

Cut some mint stems from your plant. Rinse off the leaves if there is dust or bugs. Or skip rinsing entirely, because basically it's just another step standing in the way of you and your drink. Put the leaves into a cocktail glass with the lime. Use a muddler to muddle the crap out of the produce. Or use a wooden spoon like I did because let's face it, no one actually owns a muddler. Add in the rum and some ice. Start with a bit of simple syrup (or sub white grape juice if you happen to have it in your fridge, or really anything sweet and not overpowering in flavor) and fill the glass with club soda. Or tonic water, like I did, because I happened to have a cold can of it. Stir it all up, top with a pink bendy straw, and drink to your success. Repeat as necessary.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Congrats on handing it in! A mojito is the perfect celebration drink.

trina said...

Yay! Cheers.

dreaminitvegan said...

Congratulations on your first "real job". Love the name of your blog.
We love mojito's. I made them for mothers day one year, what a great time.
check out my blog, i'm having a giveaway!