Sunday, June 8, 2008

Burger Time

Photobucket
My Trader Joe's has these WildWood Tofu Veggie Burgers for $2.69 and I've walked past them a few times thinking they're too expensive. They come two burgers per pack, and although $2.69 is not a ton of money, it's a lot when I consider the 19oz block of tofu sitting right next to the burgers is only $1.19. But enough grocery details, the point is I finally unscrewed my tightwad attitude and bought a pack.

Photobucket
They don't come with cooking instructions, or at least I didn't see any. I guess they figure if you're brave enough to buy a Tofu Veggie Burger you're probably too brazen to follow directions anyway. So into my cast iron skillet they went. When in doubt, fry.

Photobucket
They came out pretty tasty, crisp outside and firm yet tender inside. The burgers seem like they would be sturdy enough to cook on a grill too. WildWood doesn't attempt to make them taste at all like meat, which is an asset in my opinion, so the taste is of a basic seasoned tofu. I'll keep these in mind for summer parties, they're definitely better than other veggie patties I've tried.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

they're the best! I got lucky once and found a bunch of them at Grocery Outlet, but I agree with you that when not on sale, it's more of an "every now and then" kind of purchase.

Cindy DG said...

This looks great!! I"ll have to try them out!
Cindy
http://vegetarianmamma.blogspot.com

mortgage help said...

Looks very delicious. Can't wait to try them out.