Sunday, June 8, 2008

Frosting Tip

Photobucket
I decided to take my cupcake decorating to the next level and invest in some quality hardware. I found this tip in the discount bin at a local kitchen supply store. I have no idea what the numbers on it mean, but they make me feel scientific.

Photobucket
Google tells me the tip is a rosette nozzle, but basically the frosting comes out looking similar to soft serve ice cream. So I practiced my skills on some mini cupcakes.

Photobucket
After a little practice, the frosting looks presentable. I'm not quite ready to submit my resume to Charm City Cakes, but I kinda impressed myself.

Photobucket

Vegan Buttercream Frosting

With a hand mixer, beat together equal parts shortening and margarine. I used about a half a cup each non-hydrogenated crisco and Earth Balance. Add in about a cup of powdered sugar and continue to beat. Throw in a splash of soymilk to make it smooth. You'll realize you probably added too much liquid, so now add in some more powdered sugar. Keep adding a bit more soymilk and powdered sugar until you get a fluffy frosting.

Sidenote: The frosting pictured above was this recipe but with broken Chocolate Joe Joe's cookies blended in. I used the cookies 'n creme frosting for some other cupcakes, then kept the frosting in the fridge for a week. I brought it to room temp, re-beat it with some soymilk, and the cookies dissolved and made chocolate frosting. And it still tastes good. Gross? Probably. Do I care? Evidently not.

2 comments:

J said...

I wish I had just the tiniest bit of baked good decorating talent. Sadly, I do not. My partner Brett tends to frost things, as well, it's not my strong suit.

So I think you are doing well in the decorating department. Those little cupcakes look so good, I wish I could reach into my computer screen and grab one!

Springfield Carriage Company said...

Nowadays, there are a lot of equipments that can make frosting a lot easier and nicer that the past years! Hope I get to know them one by one.