Sunday, March 30, 2008

Stop, Waffle Time!

Photobucket

I would like to dedicate this breakfast to MC Hammer, in honor of his single "U Can't Touch This," which was the first tape I ever bought and the song that was in the nightmare that woke me up at 5:30am yesterday morning. That, and for giving the world Hammer pants for a brief stint in the 90s. Thanks a lot.

As I was laying in bed wide awake at 5:30 I decided I wanted to make waffles. Strawberry chocolate waffles to be exact. I was going to use my new waffle iron I got for Christmas. We're still getting to know each other, this appliance and I, but so far I've figured out that it doesn't handle "add ins" very well. It wants batter, and only batter, thank you very much get those damn blueberries out of here. Adding in chocolate chips AND strawberries would be tempting fate.

To play it safe, I kept the waffles plain (waffle iron cooperated beautifully) and made some sauces to top things off. I heated some strawberries with orange juice, fresh squeezed from oranges my grandpa grows in his backyard. A little whiz with the immersion blender, and damn I just made a nice little fruit sauce.

Photobucket
For the chocolate, I melted semi-sweet chocolate chips with a little soymilk and maple syrup. I also added in a few squares of my favorite chocolate bar, this Chuao Spicy Maya. It's from a local San Diego chocolatier, dark chocolate with a hint of spicy chiles. I thought the bit o spice would go well with the sweet fruit. And I was pretty much right.

The waffles were topped with the strawberry/orange sauce, drizzled with the chocolate, and finished off with a little Soyatoo whipped cream and Spicy Maya shavings. Here, have a bite:
Photobucket

3 comments:

trina said...

Yum.

Anonymous said...

kick-ass pics! I think I'm falling in love with your blog.

naruto said...

Delicious! Love chocolates! :D