Monday, April 7, 2008

The Triumphant Tofu Omelet

You know how sometimes you wake up in the morning and you're not at all hungry for breakfast?

Nope? Me neither.

mushroom omelet
This weekend's breakfast challenge was the vegan omelet. The recipe is a tester from The Crack of Noon, the vegan brunch cookbook from the Post Punk Kitchen. Yes, it is tofu based! But don't be scared, it actually tastes pretty good...

black salt
The omelet's flavor is derived from one secret ingredient that combines with everything else to mimic a traditional omelet in texture, taste, and likelihood to massively overeat. Kala namak, or black salt, adds the egg-y flavor but can be an elusive ingredient. I took a field trip to my local Indian market to pick some up. I went a little overboard in the spice aisle, picking up several little spice packets (so cute! so cheap!) but that's another story.

When the omelet was done, filled with sautéed mushrooms and covered in lots of fresh black pepper, it reminded me of the eggs that my dad makes. Which was sort of cool but sort of unsettling, being that it's been several years since my last experience with eggs. But my basic omelet instinct came back immediately, and I hoovered the tofu-melet down no problem.

2 comments:

trina said...

Impressive! I have so many failed vegan omelettes in my breakfast-making history.

diagnostic code reader said...

This is very creative. I'll have to try this.