Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Long Duck Dong

I just noticed that all of my previous posts have been about breakfast and dessert, or dessert-like breakfasts. By looking at this blog you'd think I subsist solely on cupcakes, donuts, and waffles. And you'd be pretty much right.

But I do occasionally prepare myself a balanced meal for dinner.
mock duck dinner

I made a trip to the Asian market this weekend; I narrowly avoided a parking lot fender bender, bought baby bok-choy and a shitload of shiitake mushrooms on the cheap, marvelled at the 50lb sacks of rice, and bought canned seitan. It was quite a trip, as I'm sure you can imagine.

can of sietan
This vegetarian mock duck is made from wheat gluten, making it high in protein and cholesterol free (try not to be distracted by my amazingly long fingers). I had to dare myself to buy it, because who really buys canned faux duck? Before this weekend, certainly not the likes of me. But the can was only $1.39 so I figured I could take the risk.

The mock duck was pan-fried with some sliced shiitake mushrooms, and served alongside steamed rice and baby bok-choy with caramelized shallots and sesame seeds (recipe from Veganomicon cookbook). The mock duck/mushrooms were seasoned with soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, and a generous squirt of Sriracha hot sauce.

The verdict?

Pretty damn tasty for a $1.39. Two amazingly long thumbs up.

No comments: