Saturday, April 26, 2008

Thanks Joe, you're quite the Trader

Alright, I'm little Miss Semi-Homemade on this dinner tonight. Maybe someday I'll get a real job and be able to spend my weekends at home making yeasted pizza dough from scratch and lovingly simmering tomato sauce on the stove all the live long day. That would be the life. Sigh.

In reality I spent the whole day at school; consequently, in order to make dinner I have to get by with a little help from my friends. (Not Paul and Winnie, I wish.) I mean Trader Joe's. So here's what I've got to show for it.

Photobucket
I started out with some TJ's whole wheat pizza dough. It's basically ready to go, just needs 20 min at room temp to relax. I cut it in half, stretch it all out, and fill up calzones for Sean and I.

Photobucket
This one is mine, filled with a whole week of leftovers. Starting from the bottom: TJ's pizza sauce, my homemade pesto, TJ's meatless-balls, some FYH soy cheese, artichoke hearts, olives, shiitake and enoki mushrooms, spinach, and somehow some shredded carrots ended up in there too.

Photobucket
Sean basted the tops of the calzones with a mixture of olive oil and a nice dark Porter beer. Actually his beer "accidentally" spilled into my little bowl of olive oil and we just went with it. You can't tame innovators. Lucky for us, it did make for a rich and tasty crust.

inside calzone
In the end, we enjoyed our pesto-Porter-mushroom-meatless ball calzones. Not bad for dinner on the fly. Trader Joe would be proud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have inspired me! i NEED to make calzones! those look awesome!